Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Not Another Car Post !!

     Yes, I'm afraid so.  But I will make it as brief as I can.  Our friend Carmelo from Palermo asked me if I wanted to join him Saturday morning at his friend Tony's shop, then drive his fifty-year-old Alfa Romeo Duetto afterwards.  What was I supposed to say...?   Yes, of course.  Chris stayed at the apartment in Castellammare, so it was "Saturday Morning Out With the Boys".  I drove into Palermo and met Carmelo where he suggested, in front of Palermo's soccer stadium.  He hopped into my rental car and off we went to see Tony.
Our rental car, an almost new Lancia Ypsilon
     Tony is well-known in Sicily for restoring, preparing, and racing vintage Alfa Romeo and Porsche cars.  We spent an hour-and-a-half looking at exotic cars, engines, and parts.  Forget the high-fashion we saw in Milan, none of it compares to the jewelry I saw in Tony's shop!


Rare 1970 vintage Porsche 911S


A very strong Carmelo holding up a race car!

Early 1970s Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 Veloce

Some of Tony's racing trophies

A rare Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Speciale, less than 1,400 were made













   
Among other things, Tony was working on a Ferrari Dino engine
Tony even had a 1961 VW Beetle out back!
   






























     After leaving Tony's shop we drove to another area of Palermo where Carmelo stores his Alfa Romeo Duetto.  We put the top down and Carmelo insisted that I drive.  Once again, what was I supposed to say... ?  Yes, of course!  I drove about fifteen miles, we returned the little Alfa to it's garage and called it a fun Saturday.  I headed back to Castellammare for a late lunch with Chris.



Carmelo bought the Alfa many years ago from a US serviceman
stationed in Naples, hence the NA license plate.
     It was a really fun morning, and I don't think Chris minded not attending "yet another car thing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment